Welcome to Wesley UMC in Sulphur Springs, Texas!
Invite, Disciple, Serve
Menu Trigger

History

Timeline

  • Spring 1951—lot at the corner of Texas and Bellview streets was purchased from Jack and Junior Reynolds for $3,300
  • June 1951—Earl Harvey appointed as first pastor
  • January 6, 1952—first worship service in brand new sanctuary. One hundred and eight charter members were on the roll.
  • Summer of 1953—new education building was erected
  • June 1955—Jack McGee appointed second pastor. His wife started the first choir.
  • 1962—new brick parsonage was purchased. It is located on Tate Street. The backyard joins church property.
  • 1969—Shirley Methodist Church voted to discontinue services and move its membership to Wesley
  • Spring 1971—new sanctuary was completed
  • 1977—current education wing was built
  • 1978—annual Fall Round Up started to raise funds to retire debt
  • 1987—Wesley Hall was built
  • 2010—Little Acorn School opened at Wesley

Pastors of Wesley

           Earl Harvey
1951-1955
           Jack McGee
1955-1957
           Linley E. Vowell
1957-1959
           James H. Westbrook
1959-1965
           William W. Penn
1965-1968
           Allie M. Davenport
1968-1973
           George Topper
1973-1981
           John Hawkins
1981-1982
           Ken Hildebrand
1982-1985
           Jerry Putnam
1985-1992
           Ben Read
1992-1995
           Robert L. Spencer
1995-1997
           Larry H. Kruger
1997-2000
           Wallace A. Williams
2000-2003
           Steve Davis
2003-2006
           Jerry Jones
2006-2009
           Brian Bosworth
2009-Oct 2012
           E. Sam Campbell
Nov 2012-Dec 2013
           Ben Shinn
Mar 2014-June 2014
           Steve Cook
July 2014-

 

Pictorial

breaking

Ground breaking for Wesley Hall in 1986.

cross_pulpit

Current sanctuary in early years with unique rail surrounding pulpit.

original

Original sanctuary in 1950s.

charter

Charter Members of Wesley:
Front Row: Etha Cromer, Bertie Minter, Mrs. Smith
Second Row: Mrs. Waters, Eva Miller, Ora Lovell, Mabel Tinney, Sam Tinney
Back Row: Mrs. Moore, Jack Huffstettler, Bonnie Huffstettler, Kathryn Minter, Ruthie Blount, Elvis Blount

broken

Wesley Hall location prior to construction.

nativity

Live Nativity scene at the corner of Bellview and Texas streets in 1950s.

John 4:7

“My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God.”